- Primers on Cooperative Law
- Coop Law Journal Archive
- MAHC Messenger Archive
- Survey of Housing Cooperative Law Cases
- Multifamily Better Buildings Challenge
- HUD Multifamily Policy Priorities
- NACH 2013 Annual Progress Report
- NACH 2012 Annual Progress Report
- What is a Housing Cooperative?
- A Glossary of Housing Cooperative Terms
- A History of Housing Cooperatives
- Comparison of Housing Cooperatives to Condominiums
- Co-op Law for Dummies
- Diversity in Cooperative Housing
- Ingredients for Successful Meetings
Helpful articles to aid Management Companies, Board Members, and Housing Cooperative Professionals in handling complex legal issues.
- Accommodating the Disabled Member
This article discusses the legal obligation a housing cooperative owes to disabled members who seek changes in the policies or rules of the cooperative because of the member’s medical condition.
- After the Mortgage is Paid Off: Changes to the Governing Documents
To change or not to change the governing documents? That question will be broken down as this article discusses the cooperatives options after the Mortgage is paid off.
- After the Mortgage Payoff: Options for the Cooperative
This article gives valuable guidance on how to look at the options and to plan properly for the mortgage payoff and its corresponding HUD regulatory agreement termination.
- HUD and Cooperative Mortgage Payoff
The pros of mortgage payoff and breaking the relationship with HUD are discussed to help give cooperatives a good understanding before deciding to refinance.
- Insurance Checkup
Think you can trust your insurance company? Find out why it may be a good idea to do a little leg work and research the insurance company your cooperative pays to protect its interests.
- Insurance Pitfalls
Finding the right insurance company is hard enough, but paying for the right coverage is even more difficult. This article will guide your decision and avoid any insurance pitfalls.
- Knowing Your Governing Documents
Here, we provide a survey of the governing documents of the cooperative. To fully understand your governing documents, you need to recognize that there is a much larger universe of documents which govern the cooperative.
- Parliamentary Procedure
A helpful outline explaining Parliamentary Procedure, Robert’s Rules of Order, and how to implement these often confused processes into your board meetings.
- Preserving the Cooperative into the Future
This article presents strategies to help housing cooperative boards that want to remain a cooperative by taking steps to prevent future boards or memberships from undoing the legacy.
- Profiles of a Movement: Co-op Housing Around the World
This article presents strategies to help housing cooperative boards that want to remain a cooperative by taking steps to prevent future boards or memberships from undoing the legacy. Although co-operative housing is widespread and has an impact on the quality of life of millions of people, our housing sector is still relatively little-known. This joint report represents a first effort to present the history and the current realities of co-operative housing around the world and to achieve our key task of communicating more effectively the work of our members.
- Refinancing your Mortgage
Choosing a lender is the very important first step to refinancing. We will give you the other important steps throughout this must read if you are planning on refinancing.
- Sexual Harassment Employment
Sexual harassment is an issue which every housing cooperative or managing agent should have a basic familiarity. This article briefly discusses the evolving state of sexual harassment law.
- The Devil is in the Details
Sometimes the low bidder is not an established, reputable businessperson which can spell disaster for a housing cooperative. The goal of this article is to encourage boards to be circumspect and knowledgeable in making decisions on bids.
- The Legal Aspects Pitfalls of Cooperative Refinancing
Should your housing cooperative refinance? This article gives an in depth look at the legal aspects and pitfalls of doing just that.
- Thinking of Refinancing
If you are thinking of refinancing, here is a list of important questions your board should be asking lenders.
- Update on Proxies
HUD, Proxies, Elliot-Larsen Civil Rights Act = huh?! We explain your options on amending your bylaws.
- Understanding fair housing and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
A quickly evolving area of fair housing laws and regulations deals specifically with snuffing out discrimination due to a recognized disability.